Having a technical definition of attitude is going to be crucial to putting it on an objective scientific basis.
Technical Definitions of Attitude
Maps and Mapmaking
Attitude is a Moral Issue
Making Moral Choices
- develop the habit of making independent judgments of your situation and
- practice compassion and respect so they will be strengthened as behavioral responses to your circumstances.
Attitude is The First of The Human Freedoms
Attitude is the Center of Success
- COMPREHENSIVE DEFINITION An attitude is a mental or neural state of readiness, organized through experience, exerting a directive or dynamic influence on the individual's response to all objects and situations to which it is related (Allport, 1935).
- SET [An attitude] denotes the general set of the organism as a whole toward an object or a situation which calls for adjustment (Lundberg, 1929).
- READINESS TO ACT [Attitudes connote] a condition of readiness for a certain type of activity (Warren, 1934).
- PERMANENCE [Attitudes represent] a more or less permanently enduring state of readiness of mental organization which predisposes an individual to react in a characteristic way (Cantril, 1934).
- AFFECT Attitude is the affect for or against a psychological object (Thurstone, 1931).
- EVALUATIVE NATURE An attitude is a tendency to act toward or against something in the environment, which becomes thereby a positive or negative value (Bogardus, 1931).
- LEARNED NATURE An attitude, roughly, is a residuum of experience, by which further activity is conditioned and controlled ... We may think of attitudes as acquired tendencies to act in specific ways toward objects (Krueger & Reckless, 1931).
- PREDISPOSITION An attitude is a predisposition to experience, to be motivated by, and to act toward, a class of objects in a predictable manner (Smith, Bruner, & White, 1956).
- UNI-COMPONENT Attitudes are likes and dislikes (Bem, 1970).
- FUNCTIONAL DEFINITION Attitudes are summary judgments of an objector event which aid individuals in structuring their complex social environments (Fazio, 1986).
- RECENT DEFINITION Attitude is a psychological tendency that is expressed by evaluating a particular entity with some degree of favor or disfavor (Eagly & Chaiken, 1993).